Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday 3/8/2011 PLN:1/1

Week 1: Interesting find #1!!!

Today I was looking at my Google Reader and was drawn into Classics for Kids Podcasts. (http://www.classicsforkids.com/)  I was drawn to one about Beethoven called Classics for Kids–Ludwig van Beethoven: Music that imitated inanimate objects.  This is a podcast that I could use in my classroom when I teach a composer unit or a tempo unit or even a syncopation unit.  All three topics were touched upon in this podcast.  It begins by explaining what inanimate object is being imitated (a metronome). There if a brief history about the metronome, some discussion on tempo and a comparison to a person’s heartbeat. The podcast then goes on to share other music that imitates inanimate objects, such as a clock. The fairy tale Cinderella is even mentioned.  This would be something that would capture the attention of my students and could enrich a lesson and jump-start into a new one!

http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr-podcasts/podcast/704/510237/133131773/WVXU_133131773.mp3?_kip_ipx=383248677-1299555592

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this link! It's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I want to teach another composer lesson just so I can share it with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could see this being a great way to "hook" the kids at the beginning of a new unit or lesson. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete